I joined MySpace and Facebook a year ago or so, mostly to get in touch with old friends since my 20th reunion was coming around. It was a lot of fun and I found a bunch of old friends, some of which were gay. They were friends and I was happy to get in touch with them and find out what had been going on in their lives the last 20 years.
And then Prop 8 came up. And my concern for hurting any of my gay friends prompted me to just avoid MySpace and Facebook for a while. I supported Prop 8 and I did so publicly, but was very careful not to make an issue of it with my gay friends or other friends who opposed Prop 8. So now, after the election, I have many friends who are not happy about Prop 8 passing. And they are fighting Prop 8 on Facebook and MySpace and I have no desire to go there anymore.
I am disappointed that it has gotten to the point of alienating friends. I feel that if I go to those sites, I will eventually feel the need to explain the other side and then I'll REALLY alienate some friends and so for now I prefer to avoid instead of cause a rift in friendships. Although, in a way, I guess the rift is already there.
I'll be so bummed if MySpace and Facebook are lost to me forever!!!
It's been awhile.....
6 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment